Friday, November 23, 2012

Roasted Brussel Sprouts...With a (shhhh)Secret ingredient!

Hello peeps!

Happy day of black consumerism. Well, the day of giving thanks has come and gone. But, the recipe I ended up making will be around for a while due to its deliciousness. I ended up cooking some scrumptious roasted brussel sprouts. As we all know by day, following recipes can make me a bit bored So...I, of course, added a secret ingredient.

Recipe

1-2 stalks of brussel sprouts (The stalks are super awesome. I feel like I could hang a bag off the end and become a brussel sprout nomad. The brussel sprouts condense so 1 stalk may seem like enough, but I actually ate half of my first batch...oopsy.)
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract (Yep, the secret ingredient. This adds a very nice taste of sweetness.)

Directions

1. Rip the brussel sprouts off the stalk and cut the ends off. (Note: The reasons many people dislike brussel sprouts is because the ends are very bitter. If they didn't eat the ends, these babies may have had a better rep.)

2. Put the brussel sprouts in a bowl and microwave for four minutes. This is very important to soften them up a bit before baking--another step to avoid bitterness.

3. Mix the olive oil, vanilla, and balsamic.

4. Put the brussel sprouts on a baking sheet, and pour the mixture over them.

5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until they are nicely browned and chewy.

ENJOY! I literally don't think I have consumed such large quantities of brussel sprouts in my life. I probably ate almost three cups of them.

I am also going to try to make brussel sprout chips soon because some of the leaves that fell off the sprout became very crunchy when baked. Yum! New idea alert....

Pictures of these babies will be coming very soon :)

There weren't any brussel sprouts left for brekkie (darn). So instead I ate some of my dad's delicious cornbread and a honeydew melon...yes an entire honeydew. It was too sweet to resist.  

Did you have any of your meal as your morning after breakfast?

Happy Fri(Buy)day!


No comments:

Post a Comment