Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Art of the Pumpkin Omelet



Tis the season. The pumpkin season that is! Every time I visit the grocery store, I see a plethora of pumpkin products. This is especially true at one of my favorite grocery stores—Trader Joes. I can’t even list their pumpkin assortment which consists of two kinds of pumpkin tea, pumpkin soufflé, pumpkin soup, pumpkin oatmeal, and of course the classic pumpkin pie. I’m sure I’m even missing a couple in this list.

With all this pumpkin, I was ,of course, inspired to try some pumpkin recipes. This is how the pumpkin omelet was born.

It was a long and boring afternoon, and I was in a pumpkin mood. But, oh no, the pumpkin pie was all gone! Fortunately, I still had some pumpkin in a can left. Now the question was what to make? I have recently become obsessed with protein powders and eggs whites…so what do I do but decide to combine all my favorite things!

Recipe:

This recipe is very subjective based on the consistency you like! If you want your omelete more pumpkiny (yes this should be a word), then add more of the pumpkin puree. If you want more of an omelet consistency, then use more egg whites. If you want more of a soufflé, then add a bit more baking powder.

½ cup egg whites

½ cup pumpkin puree

1 scoop protein powder

1 pinch baking powder

1 HEAPING tablespoon cinnamon (I do love my cinnamon!)

Sugar (based on desired sweetness)

Maple syrup (this adds a nice homey/holiday flavor! Pumpkin maple nom nom nom)

Whisk, whisk, whisk.

Now, you have more some choices to make in terms of cooking.

1. You can put this all in your non-stick pan and wait until it starts to bubble and then flip.

2. You can put it in a very large non-stick pan so it is thinner.

3. You can scramble it in the pan!

4. You can put this in the blender or use the electric mixer to make it more soufflé like and then pop it in a cup in the oven.

While the taste may be the same, the consistency will vary slightly based on mixing and cooking mechanism. You can also eat it plain or top with greek yogurt or even pumpkin greek yogurt (yes, such a thing does exist…one of the forgotten items at Trader Joe’s).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment